Services for our Customers with Disabilities
At AMTRAN, our primary goal is to ensure that every customer enjoys a safe and comfortable ride. If you want to use AMTRAN transportation services and have a disability, you have choices.
If you can ride on one of our standard, fixed route buses, AMTRAN vehicles and operators are equipped to serve customers who use mobility devices. The fare to ride a standard fixed route vehicle is 75¢ (or $1.50 round trip). There are more details about fixed route assistance for our customers with disabilities below.
If you have a disability and are unable to use our fixed route service, AMTRAN also provides van service with door-to-door (origin to destination) pick-up and drop-off. This service is commonly referred to as paratransit service. The fare to use our paratransit service is $3.10 (or $6.20 round trip). Eligibility and paratransit service details are listed further down this page.
Schedules and other information are available in accessible formats including large format, audio recording, electronic file, and braille. Please contact us by phone (814) 944-4074 (Monday through Saturday 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.) or by email to let us know how we can assist you.
Fixed Route Assistance for Our Customers with Disabilities
AMTRAN will make every effort to ensure that customers enjoy a comfortable, safe, and pleasant ride on our buses. AMTRAN bus operators will always strive to be professional and courteous with all customers.
You can ride the fixed route buses for only 75¢ a trip as opposed to the paratransit service which costs $3.10.
AMTRAN offers the following assistance on our fixed route buses for our customers with mobility limitations.
- AMTRAN will transport all wheelchairs regardless of size or weight as long as the lift and the vehicle can physically accommodate them.
- AMTRAN will transport customers who use respirators, concentrators, or portable oxygen.
- AMTRAN will permit guide dogs or other service animals to accompany a customer on their bus or van ride.
- Our buses are equipped with a kneeling feature for easier access. All you have to do is ask the driver to deploy the kneeler at any stop.
- Our buses are equipped with lifts or ramps. All you have to do is ask the driver to deploy the lift or ramp at any stop. The driver can assist you in boarding or leaving the bus.
- Our buses are equipped to automatically announce major bus stops on interior LED signs for people with hearing disabilities and audio announcements for people with vision disabilities.
- In addition, an exterior speaker beside the front door will automatically announce the route for that bus at stops served by multiple bus routes.
- Our bus operators will request that customers sitting in priority seating or in a flip-up seat over the securement area vacate these seats when a person with a disability needs to use them.
- Our bus operators will allow time for persons with disabilities to board/disembark a vehicle and can assist customers in doing so.
- All bus routes are deviated fixed route before 7:00 a.m. and after 6:00 p.m. Any customer can ask the driver to deviate the bus from its regular route to get them closer to their destination. Customers can request route deviations in advance by calling the AMTRAN HelpLine at 944-4074 Monday through Saturday from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
AMTRAN will make every effort to accommodate any and all mobility aids in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you have any questions or complaints, please let us know immediately. The AMTRAN HelpLine is available at 944-4074 Monday through Saturday from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
ADA Paratransit Service
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a civil rights law. The intent of the ADA is to remove barriers that have prevented people with disabilities from fully participting in life. Under the ADA, fixed route service on regular city buses (see above) is to be the primary means of public transportation for everyone, including people with disabilities.
However, AMTRAN also provides door-to-door van service (origin to destination) for people who are unable to ride the fixed route buses. The service operates within the same service area as the AMTRAN standard bus service. The fare to use our paratransit service is $3.10 each way or $6.20 round trip..
Customers must register and be certified to ride this van service. When a person is deemed eligible for van service, they will be issued an ADA Paratransit ID Card.
AMTRAN provides ADA Complementary Paratransit services to out-of-town visitors. AMTRAN requests documentation from visitor’s local/home paratransit system. If no such documentation is available, AMTRAN would accept a visitor’s proof of residence and disability (if not apparent). Once documentation is secured, AMTRAN provides requisite transportation services.
Eligible customers may make next day reservations from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For complete information on AMTRAN van service and to get a van service application, please call AMTRAN at 944-4074 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
ADA Paratransit Service on Monday through Friday
Blair Senior Services provides ADA Paratransit Service Monday through Friday. Call for a reservation at 695-3500.
ADA Paratransit Service on Saturdays
Amtran provides ADA Paratransit Service on Saturdays. Call for a Saturday reservation at 944-4074.
Reasonable Modification/Accommodations for Individuals with Disabilities
Amtran will make reasonable modifications to its policies, practices, or procedures when requested to do so by individuals with disabilities when such accommodations are necessary to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability.
Requests for accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be denied if:
Process for Requesting Modifications/Accommodations for Individuals with Disabilities
Requests for modifications of the authority’s policies, practices, or procedures to accommodate an individual with a disability may be made either in advance or at the time of the transportation service. The authority is best able to address and accommodate a request when it is made in advance. The process for making a request is as follows:
Appeal Process: If a passenger wishes to appeal the authority’s denial of a request for accommodations, contact information is as follows:
Complaint Process: Complaints regarding accommodations for persons with disabilities may be made by phone, mail or in person: